Followers

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Kenlake State Park to Pebble Isle Marina



We started the trip to Pebble Isle Marina at about 8:30 after we had breakfast at the marina.  The morning was hazy with a light rain.  As the morning went on, it cleared and allowed me to roll up the isinglass so I could see better.

I couldn't help but notice the ATON's (Aids To Navigation) that were in the deep water of Kentucky Lake.  Red or Green, they all had mile markers, either red triangles or green squares, (red on right when returning), red or green lights,  photo cells for charging the batteries, a bird nest, and a bird.  I realize from my auxiliary training that the Coast Guard Auxiliary has a responsibility for reporting aids that are in the wrong place or not working properly. I guess the Coast Guard or the TVA must be responsible for repairing the ones that are not proper.  What I can't figure out is who replaces the bird on the one or two ATON's that had them missing?  How do they know whether to replace it with a Gull or a Comorand?  Just goes to show you I don't have an answer for everything.

 
 





Cindy's Observations:  The  day/mile markers serve as navigational aids and great nesting sites out of harms way for fowl.   It was interesting to see the placement of the nests and what type of bird fit the nest.

Today I made a great leap forward in the navigation of the boat.  As I had mentioned earlier,  I have been plotting a course on the plotter for the days travel.  Up to now I have only been using it as a reference to where the sailing line (highway) is and my relationship to it.  Today I got brave and engaged the autopilot and coupled it to the plotter to follow the course I had layed out.  Amazing!!! it followed it.  Now I need to pay more attention to just where I place the waypoints as I came a little close to a couple of ATON's today.  Luckily the autopilot has a "Dodge" button on it to get out of the way of logs, other boats, and poorly placed waypoints.


I picked up a boat on AIS approaching us from behind at an amazing rate.  She was doing in excess of 25 mph.  As I looked behind us in the binoculars all I could see was a big wake with a little boat in the middle.  The AIS identified them as "Miller Time".  How Appropriate!  I gave them a call and identified myself, and said I would slow down if they would give me a "slow pass".  If you have ever been "waked" by a large boat passing you from behind, you would understand my concern.  It moves everything in the boat that is not tied down, and even some of those things that are. Luckily they understood the term "slow pass" and acknowledged.  I slowed to 6 or 7 and they passed without incident.  We still got rocked a bit, but that was probably my fault.  Next time I will go to idle or stop for someone to go by.

Cindy's Observations:  Bass boaters are easily spotted and heard screaming across the lake leaving a rooster tail behind while getting to that perfect "spot" first.

We went a little over 57 miles today and did my first "fill up".  They advertised 10 cents a gallon off for Boat US members so we filled up.  170 gallons.  We are averaging close to 2 mpg even with the traveling upstream and pushing to get to anchorages on the Ohio River.  We are still going upstream and will be for quite a while, but the current is only running about 1/2 mph, which is not too bad.  It beats someone trying to go back up the Mississippi running against a 3-5 mile current.

We decided to stay an additional night here.  They had a courtesy car and a local restaurant with an all-you-can-eat breakfast bar!!



Narrow inlet to Pebble Isle - well marked!!

Pebble Isle Marina
Cindy's Observations:  The heavy dew in morning or rain is referred to as a "spot free rinse."  But we were soaked.  The topside carpets were soaked and squishy.  We needed a few days to dry out.  We lifted the carpets and laid them across the bow to drip dry.  Pebble Isle served a hearty country breakfast buffet. At the dock a Garmin GPS sonar mapping boat was equipped with side scanning sonar for new detail chips for nav plotters.  Several crews had been on the lakes for weeks and were close to finishing.

 A  Dodge Caravan was provided for a trip into town.Stopping at the Johnsonville State Park information center we talked with the guide whom we asked how to get to Loretta Lynn's Ranch.  She gladly gave us directions to Hurricane Mills and proceeded to give us her personal story  growing up with Patsy and Cissy, Loretta's girls.  She talked fondly of the girls and Moody their father who taught her how to swim on  the ranch.  Years back, the wooden bridge over the creek on the ranch was washed out do to a big flood along with the charm she remembered.  It has been replaced with a modern day concrete bridge. Gift shops and museums have been erected on the site. The ranch has changed with Loretta's passing and is no longer a pleasant place for her to visit.  Also on site was a replica of Loretta's Butcher Holler home were she was "Born A Coal Miners Daughter."  This truly shows her "rags to riches" story.  Docktails were at 5:30 with Flying Free, Time and Tide and Kenny Rodgers (look alike).  We finished the last of our smoked dinner and called it a night.





Creek where girls swam
 

Loretta  Lynn's Mansion


Butcher Holler Replica





No comments:

Post a Comment